By December 18, 20110 Comments Read More →

Getting New Car Insurance When Moving to Another State

Reader’s Question:

If I move to another state, do I need to get a different car insurance to that new state?



Yes, typically in the event you move to a different state you will have to register, title and insure your vehicle with your new state and also obtain a driver’s license replaced over to the new state.

State laws vary regarding how long you need to switch over your title, registration and driver’s license in order that it can be anywhere from around ten days to two months typically. Additionally you will have to switch over your insurance coverage for a couple reasons. One reason is the fact that it’s not likely that your insurance provider from your former state would want to now insure the car that’s being operated and garaged outside the state.

Insurance providers need you to inform them if you change location because where your automobile and you are living is important to your insurance provider and your insurance rates. Additionally various states have various minimum car insurance requirements and therefore your insurance plan usually must change in the event you move. Your former state’s insurance coverage most likely follows you when going to outside the state however , not if you transfer there, they rather will advise you to obtain new insurance coverage in your new state.

Posted in: Reader Questions

Got Something to Say?