Reader Question DEAR AUSTIN
I HAVE A FLEETWOOD FLAIR ON CHEVY P30 CHASSIS
1998 MODEL 20,000 MILES. SINCE I HAVE HAD IT I HAVE NOT HAD A FULL PEDAL FOR BRAKES. STOPS ONLY AS PEDAL APROACHES THE FLOOR.
BRAKE CALIPERS STUCK RECENTLY OVERHEATING BRAKES.
HAD CALIPERS AND BRAKE PADS REPLACED ROTORS TRUED AND FLUID FLUSHED.
HAVE BETTER PEDAL NOW BUT THE FIRST HALF OF PEDAL TRAVEL HAS NO EFFECT BUT STOPS BEFORE REACHING FLOOR.
THEY DO NOT NEED PUMPING AS THAT HAS NO EFFECT.
IS THIS COMMON TO GM BRAKE SYSTEMS?
WHAT SHOULD I CHECK NEXT?
THANK YOU PHIL
Hi There Phil
There are a few things that can cause this to happen.
1. Air in the brake system – bleed the system
2. Grease or something on the brake shoes – remove the rear brakes and look for fluid on the shoes or drums
3. Low (worn out) rear brake shoes, or a problem with the self adjusters in the rear brakes
4. A problem with the master cylinder – replace master cylinder
5. Brake fluid distribution problem – make sure there is enough brake fluid going to the rear brakes – check diverter valve
6. Improper parts installed – or if the system was converted or altered from the OEM specs
See if you can rule out each of these and get back to me.
Austin C. Davis